Monday, November 05, 2007

Walesville, 1954

I was surfing "the Mezz" the other night, and in the CNY Forum Dave Griffin mentioned that he had written a piece about a tragic jet crash in Walesville in 1954, which caused the death of four people. I drive through that area often on the way to Syracuse, so my curiosity was aroused.

He tells the story well. If you like this, he has many other stories on his website, a number of which are sure to invoke memories of growing up in mid 20th century Utica.

Take a break, and read something enjoyable!

1 comment:

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Thanks for the link. The Walesville story was poignant. I moved to the Mohawk Valley in 1989, so although I'd heard of the incident, I knew little about it.

To this day, our family runs scurrying outside when those huge cargo planes go screaming over our house. They fly so low we can see the windows! Why do they continue to fly so low? I've always wondered about it. And what accounts for all the streaks of white gunk that comes out of some planes? Sometimes the skies look like a checkerboard with all those perfectly aligned strips of white mass. Since the AFB is closed, I do wonder why there is still so much strange and frequent activity.