Monday, November 12, 2007

Rising Tolls - Upstate Legislators Mum

That should have been the headline for this story, but it wasn't. For some reason, our Albany representatives always seem to get a pass on this issue. Tolls go up, but nary a word. The same is true for Upstate County Executives and Mayors whose bully pulpits are eerily silent. Maybe it's because the Thruway Authority is such a hotbed of patronage for their friends?

Tax traffic on Main Street? Yep: The Thruway is Upstate's Mainstreet -- and Tax it New York State does. But Not for the L. I. Expressway. Not for the Southern Tier Expressway. Not for the Northern, Southern, Sagtikos, Meadowbrook, or Taconic State Parkways. Or I-81. Or even I-84 (which is partially supported by Thruway Tolls).

They talk about wanting to help the Upstate economy? -- Nah! Don't believe it!

2 comments:

Rebecca Mecomber said...

They want us out so they can take over the land and resources of the state.

Anonymous said...

Im not too old, 30s, and even I remember my grandfather saying that as far back as 57 NYS was promising the Thruway would drastically drop its tolls once it had paid for its bonds etc. to just whatever maintainance it needed. In other words, they said the fares would drop on day.

I am now my long dead grandfather's grandson, and I'm still waiting for that one...