Monday, January 10, 2011

More Beyond Sprawl . . .

All of the articles in Next American City's "Beyond Sprawl" series have been published which focus on 4 architects' approaches to combating sprawl by making the city more liveable.

Part Four features Tai Ziola, a young architect in Edmonton.
Her approach to the issue of suburban sprawl encompasses LEED compliant housing, renewing urban areas and creating a denser social fabric for inner-city neighborhoods. . . . 

Another issue that Ziola finds questionable when it comes to the construction of new suburbs is the issue of inner city taxpayers subsidizing the cost of new exurban neighborhoods. “To me it doesn’t make a great deal of sense at all that taxpayers living in the core of the city are funding all of the infrastructure associated with sprawl,” she says.
Part Three presents John Brown of Calgary whose philosophy of home building is called "slow home" -- inspired by the "slow food" movement.  

Part Two shows how Jonathan Davis uses modular construction to meet urban needs.

Interesting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning. I was just reading about the Supreme Court ruling on the OIN. I may be all wet in my thinking and do no have law experience. I think that the OIN withdrew its immunity claim because the court was also going to rule on whether the OIN was in fact a soverign nation as part of the same decision. It would be far cheaper to pay taxes than lose its soverign shield. Again, I may have been wrong in my reading of the various articles leading up to this. Any thoughts on this or am I wrong in this thinking?

Dave said...

Hey, Strike, I live in the country and was unaware a nearby city might be subsidizing new exurban neighborhoods. I'd like to learn more. Can you point me to a summary article on this topic? In my area, county sales tax revenue is going the opposite direction, TO the city, even though the malls are in the burbs.
Tnx, Dave